Saturday, September 13, 2008

Shameless parents

I was going to start this blog the other night, after watching the semi-shameless 'America's Got Talent' tv show.(I rather hate watching tv, but when you're REALLY BORED, your brain must go somewhere.) This show is really near the top of my hate list(I know...'then why the hell are you watching it'? I'm somewhat forced to...no I won't go into details). Anyway, my top of the list is 'American Idol'. No one is an 'idol', I don't care if the person can sing, dance, and do walking-in-air tricks like Criss Angel, all at the same time.
But here is the shameless part.....KAITLYN MAHER. This is, I'm sure, a very sweet little girl, at least that is her stage presence. I'm not against that. I am against dragging this little 4 year old girl in front of millions of viewers, to which EVERYONE KNOWS EVENTUALLY she is going to LOSE! She cannot perform in Las Vegas, isn't this one of the parameters of the show???? She needs to be doing what 4 year olds do....appearing in funny family home videos!! I really wonder what the psyche of people has been reduced to.
Maybe this is her parents way to provide for their child??? In case you haven't caught the fine print, the $1 million prize is actually an annuity paid over 40 YEARS(I'll help...thats $25k a year), unless they choose to take the prize at that time, a one-shot cash payout.(Sorry I don't know what that payout is).
I guess the other reason why this show is on the top of my hate list is because everyone has talent for SOMETHING. Maybe that talent is not 'entertaining the masses', maybe that talent is to be able to LOVE SOMEONE when they are unloveable. To me, that is the greatest talent there is. And it's also something seriously lacking in this country.

No comments: